Pages

Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Jan & Feb 2014 Beer Reviews

Hi all my buddies!

And now the promised review of the beer I drunk throughout January and February 2014, over a month late... This includes interesting beers, some special beers, and a few "meh" beers.



Owls... they're everywhere.
Beer: Hitachino Nest Real Ginger Brew ABV 7.00%
Label Message: It's in Japanese, so I don't know what it says.
Notes: This is a really cool beer. Our favorite local bar and restaurant has it in stock, but it's $8/bottle so I've never felt right ordering it. When I found it at Sav-On Beverage I had to get it, and it was only about $3/bottle, which is the right price. The picture above aptly and succinctly shows the physical characteristics, so let's move onto the aroma and flavor. There is definitely ginger here, and fresh, ginger, too! Think ginger beer, but maybe not so sharp with the ginger flavor. The body was crisp and a bit malty, which nicely complemented the ginger. Good beer, definitely would try it again some time.

Blueberry stout, had to try it.
Beer: Buffalo Bill's Blueberry Oatmeal Stout  ABV 7.50%
Label Message: "oatmeal stout brewed with blueberries with natural flavors added"
Notes: "With natural flavors added." I've learned that that phrase often predicts a formulaic, maybe fake beer. I liked this beer, but it wasn't the best. Those natural flavors were probably some extracted esters added to give the beer a fuller blueberry taste and aroma, something that the brewers may not have wanted to coax out of the fruit on their own. I don't want "natural flavors" added to my beer, I want the flavors to come out of the brewing! The body was a bit weak and the blueberry-ness just wasn't there. I was sorrily disappointed. I hoped the other blueberry stout I had in the fridge would be better than this unfortunate draught.

Deltron......... and Automator!!!
Beer: Dogfish Head + Dan The Automator present Positive Contact ABV 9.0%
Label Message: "Ale brewed with apple cider and spices. A positive combination of Fuji cider, slow-roasted farro, a bit of cayenne and fresh cilantro."
Notes: I am a rock guy, mostly metal and hard rock but I do love me some '90s alt-rock and grunge. I never cared for rap, but my freshman dorm RA introduced me to hip-hop with Deltron 3030, an amazing concept album with Del The Funky Homosapien emceeing, Kid Koala DJing, and Dan "the Automator" Nakamura producing: one emcee, one DJ, one producer. That album is my all-time favorite hip-hop album, one I can listen to any time and have never tired of. With a pedigree like that, how could I not buy a bottle of this Dogfish Head collaboration brew. Named after one of Deltron 3030's singles, Positive Contact, is an interesting beer. It said it's brewed with cider, and that's quite obvious in the flavor. Very much the main aspect of the flavor, I didn't notice anything more than the cider, not even the farro, cayenne, and cilantro. However, it did have an overall taste akin to fresh herbs and spices. I also learned that I should share the large bottles of big beers I buy because it was tough drinking the entire 1-pint 9.4-oz volume on my own.

Rye, no longer just for wit.
Beer: Rivertown Hop Bomber Rye Pale Ale  ABV 5.50%
Label Message: Nothing to note.
Notes: My first note on this beer is that the head didn't form well, something you won't see as I didn't take a picture until more than halfway through the glass. However, the rest of my notes are all glowingly positive. One of my homebrewing goals this year to is to brew a rye pale ale, so I grabbed a couple to see what they're all about and have enjoyed them. Great Lakes released Rye of the Tiger last year, and it was something to behold, very enjoyable. But back to Hop Bomber. The rye spiciness was hidden in the floral hop aroma, with the hops taking the fore and the rye coming strong at the end. After letting it warm a bit the flavor and aroma were more pronounced with the dry taste and rye spice really showing strong. This was a good example of what I'm aiming for with my first rye pale ale to be brewed this summer, maybe in August in time for fall drinking.

After much anticipation, Theobroma!
Beer: Dogfish Head Theobroma  ABV 9%
Label Message: main label: "Ale brewed with natural flavors (honey, cacao nibs, cacao powder, ancho chillies, & ground annatto)." On side of label: "Theobroma, or 'Food of the Gods,' is a re-creation of the premier chocolate beverage of the Americas, intended only for the gods, kings, and the elite. This liquid time capsule is based on the earliest chemical and archeological evidence of cacao in the New World, dating to before 1100 B.C., and enhanced by natural additives of the later Aztec and Mayan drinks."
Notes: I heard about this beer early in 2013 and started looking and asking around for it but didn't find it. Then, in September, I found a vintage 2011 bottle, supposedly the first year it was brewed, and bought it for about $15. I saved it for "after I defend," and drank it in February, sharing it with friends of ours when they had us over for dinner. I was expecting something dark, rich, and heavy. It was coppery in color but not transparent, and had a kick! It tasted like whiskey, had a spice from the chillies, and the cacao gave it a slight bitterness. Being an historic replica they didn't use hops, and thus was likely the first beer I've had without hops. But the spices and herbs made up for it and I'd like to try more pre-hops beers. After I bought this bottle I saw 2013 bottles all over the place, but I haven't seen one since I drank mine, so I'll keep an eye open for it later this year and will definitely give it another try.

Another holiday brew from Anchor Steam.
Beer: Anchor Steam Merry Christmas Happy New Year  ABV 5.5%
Label Message: Similar to last year's, but featuring a different tree as is their tradition.
Notes: After enjoying last year's Anchor Steam Winter Warmer I picked up a bottle of 2013's vintage and enjoyed it again! Dark, heavy but not overly alcoholic, with a strong head and a warming that feels so good. I'm moving out to the Bay Area this year so I will definitely visit the Anchor Steam brewery and continue to enjoy their annual winter brew.

Craft beer in a can? Yes!
Beer: Finch's Beer Co. Secret Stache Stout  ABV 5.3%
Label Message: Colorfully decorated, but no specific message per se.
Notes: More and more craft beers are releasing their beers in aluminum cans. Cans are cheaper, have a better seal, are quite recyclable, and can be creatively labeled. Bottles are more expensive, can have an enamel-fired label (like Stone) or just have a paper/plastic labeled adhered to it, and the crown cap doesn't provide the best seal, but it is darn good. But, the brown bottle we've all come to know and love can be used by us homebrewers for bottling! A brewery can buy and use a canning machine, a homebrewer relies on the affordability of caps and a capper. That's the story with craft beers in a can, but let's get back to the beer. It was a deep and dark in color with a noticeably thick pour. The head was  dark brown and formed well but had low retention. The taste was adequate. It wasn't bad but didn't blow me away. I let it sit for a bit to warm up and the flavor and aroma really opened up, giving roasted notes with vanilla coming through. Overall this was a good beer and I might give it another chance sometime.

A brown ale trial to get me in the brown ale brewing mood.
Beer: Tommyknocker Maple Nut Brown ABV 4.5%
Label Message: "A flavorful brown ale brewed with a touch of maple syrup." There's also a lengthy description of the legend of Tommyknockers, helpful, gnome-like creatures found in mines.
Notes: I was preparing to brew a brown ale (with pumpkin) and grabbed a few bottles of brown ales to get me in the mindset. I've enjoyed Tommyknocker's beers so I looked forward to this beer. From the pour it had low head formation and retention, and was a dark brown in color. My first impression was that it has weak aroma and a crisp flavor. I let it sit a bit to warm up and the flavors really woke up, with a stronger "brown taste," which anyone who's had Newcastle can easily identify, and the maple aroma came through. However, my overall impression was that it was too crisp and light-bodied. It was better warmer, as brown ales tend to be, but this beer did not wow me.

Ruthlessly rye, crisp and dry.
Beer: Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye  ABV 6.6%
Label Message: Nothing specific or unique, but the artwork was really eye-catching.
Notes: As with the previous beer, this was purchased to help me plan future bomebrews. I'm planning to brew a rye pale ale around August so I'm trying to get the idea of them when I saw it at Sav-On Beverage. This beer poured well, formed a decent head with good retention, and was a transparent amber/brown. The hops and rye blended well in the flavor and aroma and I wasn't quite able to tell the two apart, which might have been intentional. I liked this beer and should pick up more rye ales, maybe a whole sixpack of them! Imagine that, drinking more than one or two bottles of a single type of beer. Crazy...

Thanks for opening up your private reserve once again, Santa!
Beer: Rogue Ales Santa's Private Reserve  ABV 6.0%
Label Message: Nothing special.
Notes: This was one of the few standouts in my onslaught of Christmas and winter-themed beers from 2012, and I eagerly grabbed a bottle to drink it again. It pours well and has great head formation and retention, leaving a frothy tan foam over a copper body. I let it warm and the spicy, crisp flavor stood out with the dry body. For more detail, refer back to my review of Santa's Private Reserve here.

Mmmm... chocolately goodness...
Beer: Boulder Beer Co. Shake Chocolate Porter  ABV 5.9%
Label Message: "Our twist on the traditional robust American Porter, Shake Chocolate Porter is black in color with rich, dark chocolate aromatics and flavors and subtle coffee-like notes. This unique brew blends five different grains, including Chocolate Wheat, that along with cacao nibs create a devilishly delicious chocolate finish with a velvety mouthfeel."
Notes: Thick pour, good head formation and retention. Settled into a nice dark brown color with a tan/brown head. Before warming up the aroma had hints of chocolate and the taste was enjoyable with a full body, but the chocolate flavor tasted artificial. I let it warm up and the chocolate aroma opened up. The warmed taste was malty with full body flavor. I liked it, but it wasn't the best chocolate beer I've had.

More blueberries!
Beer: Dark Horse Brewing Company Tres Blueberry Stout  ABV 7.5%
Label Message: Nothing special.
Notes: Another blueberry stout, and this one wasn't labeled as using artificial flavors! It poured well with good head formation and retention, leaving a creamy, dark tan head. The first impression before letting it warm imparted roasty aroma with a hint of fruit. It was delightfully full bodied and smooth. All this opened when warmed and was even more enjoyable. This beer is a part of a series each label with a number in French. From the enjoyment of this beer I'll have to try them all!


And that's it for the first sixth of 2014. Until next time friends, happy brewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment